Can you get diabetes from honey?
"Consumption of raw honey has many benefits, including increasing insulin and decreasing blood sugar. ... For people with diabetes, using honey in very small amounts should not cause blood glucose to spike dramatically. So, people with diabetes may consume honey instead of sugar in moderation, as part of a healthful diet."
Why our Rosemary Honey?
There are six main health benefits.
1. Honey is antibacterial and antiseptic: All raw honey contains a mild solution of hydrogen peroxide, which is released when it comes into contact with moisture. This is antibacterial and fungicidal. Honey is also gyroscopic, which means that it naturally attracts moisture. Most bacteria breed in moist conditions and honey dries out wounds, preventing wounds becoming infected.
2. Honey as a sweetener doesn’t give the energy spike that refined cause the blood sugar to shoot up, but allows a much healthier gradual increase in blood sugar levels. However we suggest you use it mindfully and in small quantities. A teaspoon in a superfood smoothie will be enough and makes all the difference.
3. Dark honeys are high in antioxidants. Antioxidant compounds can help your cells fight off free radicals one of the causes of a host of degenerative diseases. Unique to honey is pinocembrin, an antioxidant associated with improved brain functioning.
4. Honey can help you digest food better. Honey contains natural enzymes that assist the digestive process.
5. Honey is said to aid sleeping. The theory is that a spoonful of honey before sleep provides the body with enough glucose to ‘feed’ the brain during the night. This prevents or limits the early morning release of cortisol and adrenalin (stress hormones) which disturb sleep. It also stabilises blood sugar levels and contributes to the release of melatonin, the hormone required for recovery and rebuilding of body tissues during rest. (According to a recent study in Hershey, Penn, USA.)
6. Honey is good for your skin. Because it attracts moisture honey helps to nourish the skin – that is why it is often used in skin care products. Also, honey’s antioxidants compounds help to fight free radicals, which can damage skin. Some people find honey is very effective for conditions such as sunburn, acne and eczema.
The benefits of different kinds of honey Heather and Chestnut are high in antioxidants. These honeys have a strong flavour.
Chestnut is said to be very high in minerals.
Eucalyptol is the main therapeutic ingredient of Eucalyptus honey, which has antibacterial and antifungal qualities. Eucalyptus is reputed to be good for the respiratory system.
Lavender honey is said to aid relaxation and sleep.
- Condition: New
- Weight: 0.22kg